Pace needs to be increased I feel like this game could be better if it had faster combat.
Ghost Knight Victis - AGDG Demo Day 19
A downloadable the good stuff for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Ghost Knight Victis is an action RPG about a terminally-ill superhero fighting against an invasion of Lovecraftian horrors.
The catch is that his health deteriorates every time he uses his powers. As the player, you need to ensure the main character stays alive until the end of the year, when the final boss appears.
Inspired by the henshin hero genre (Karas, Kamen Rider, Garo, etc.), you play as a guy whose terminal disease awakens dormant powers, letting him transform into magical armors and fight monsters.
You'll also need to maintain your secret identity to prevent endangering your friends. But standing with you are individuals who are in the same predicament.
This is only the combat prototype for now. Please try it out and leave feedback!
This is a minor update since I'm wearing my artist hat right now and working on the player's 2nd armor. That means I haven't had much time coding any new features. But that's not gonna stop me from uploading the current work-in-progress! If you've already tested the previous Demo Day 18 build, you won't notice much different.
Changes (since last AGDG Demo Day release):
- Improved target switching controls on gamepad.
- Monitor switching in-game currently doesn't work since it was relying on an undocumented feature that broke (technical details here). For now, to change the monitor used, you'll have to pass the command line argument "‑adapter N", where N is the monitor number, to the game's exe file (note: this only works in Windows).
- Gamepad is recommended (tested both Xbox 360 and PS4 controllers)! But keyboard and mouse works too.
- There are no optimizations yet. There are toggles for the graphical effects, but they are there more for your personal preference. If you're running the game on a toaster, consider yourself warned. Try running the game in a low resolution (640x480 if need be).
- There's nothing much to do yet except kill the enemies. This is only a test for the combat part.
- There are no unique combo strings. Attacks in this game work more similar to Dark Souls, and not God of War.
- I know the impression right now is that there are not a lot of attacks. There will be more variety of attacks you can perform in future versions of the game, as I implement more features (more spells, a 2nd armor type with its own set of weapons).
- Some people do not understand how the stamina bar works. In the future I may add a simple tutorial to explain this.
- You will die quickly if you allow yourself to be surrounded. This is intentional.
- Can't customize control bindings yet, but it will be added.
- There are no sounds yet.
- The difficulty right now is not yet representative of the final goal. Attack animation speeds, enemy AI, damage values, and stamina costs are continually subject to tweaks/balancing.
Follow latest updates on my dev blog: http://hypertensiongamedev.tumblr.com/
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
My problem is I haven't finalized yet what minimum specs is needed. As I add more graphical effects, it could go higher. But if I ever get to implement some sort of toggle for a cheaper alternative (code that will turn off cloth physics simulation on characters, in which case, the cheaper bone-based animations for their clothes would take over) that could go lower.
Best way to mitigate framerate slowdown for now is to drastically reduce the screen resolution.
But if you're asking what specs I use to test the game. It's:
- Intel Core i7 (4th gen)
- 16 GB RAM DDR3
- GeForce GTX 970M (this is a gaming laptop)
Obviously it looks good, so good work on that.
you have conflicting styles of play, on one hand i want to zoom round really fast and slash up lots of enemies devil may cry style due to the fast movement and a dash but that is stopped by the slow attack times, very small attack radius and no stun locking like abilities. If you want tactical more realistic combat highlight that and ditch the dash and fast speed and vice versa
all the weapons suck to use, they just aren't fun. hammer takes to long to recover from attacks and has terrible range, the spears heavy attack is a short range??? why, its a spear.
this wants to bad to be darksouls but lacks everything that makes darksouls good such as smooth and fluent combat and satisfying weapons with useful differences.
Thanks for trying it out! My reference is more on Nioh and Bloodborne instead of Dark Souls. But just like your assessment, it's not there yet.
Hammer was meant to be useful when you're surrounded because of the wide sweeping arcs, but I too, find limited use in it because I get hit before my attacks connect. I'm thinking I'll add flinch resistance to the player for the hammer so the attack still continues when you're hit. Spear charged attack is an impale, I'll experiment with adding some forward push to help with the range.