It's probably fine to not have tutorials for stamina, if your intention is soulslike. I'm pretty sure souls never explicitly said anything about monitoring stamina.
Games like this tend to sort out the people who wouldn't enjoy that playstyle anyway.
Ghost Knight Victis - AGDG Demo Day 15
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Ghost Knight Victis is a single-player action RPG inspired by the henshin hero genre (Karas, Kamen Rider, Garo). You play as a guy whose terminal disease awakens dormant powers, letting him transform into magical armors and fight monsters.
The catch is that his health deteriorates every time he uses his powers. As the player, you need to ensure the main character stays alive until the end of the year, when the final boss appears.
You'll also need to maintain your secret identity to prevent endangering your friends. But standing with you are individuals who are in the same predicament.
This is only the combat protoype for now. Please try it out and leave feedback!
Changes (since last AGDG Demo Day release):
- Rapier attacks now do not immediately flinch enemies. Enemies now have a resistance which is whittled down at each hit of the Rapier, until they will finally flinch. This means enemies can freely fight back when you are attacking with the Rapier. (This will be compensated in the future by the fact that the Rapier will be able to parry incoming attacks)
- There is now a game over screen. Right now it works similarly to Dark Souls but I have plans for it (you will have limited number of lives, depleting those will force you back to the world map).
- Player can now rotate freely in-between attacks, as long as they are not targeting anything.
- Enemies now "cancel" their attacks. This means the enemies are now executing combos.
- Enemies can now dodge incoming attacks from the player.
- Fixed bugs with player input messing up the attack combos.
- There are no optimizations yet. There are toggles for the graphical effects, but they are there more for your personal preference. If you're running the game on a toaster, consider yourself warned. Try running the game in a low resolution (800x600 if need be).
- There's nothing much to do yet except kill the enemies. This is only a test for the combat part.
- There are no unique combo strings. Attacks in this game works more similar to Dark Souls, and not God of War.
- I know the impression right now is there are not a lot of attacks. There will be more variety of attacks you can perform in future versions of the game, as I implement more features (the warhammer, weapon abilities, spells, a 2nd set of weapons).
- As some of you have mentioned, you can hit enemies through fences/obstacles. You are not supposed to be able to do this, but I haven't fixed it yet.
- Some of you suggested keyboard controls for switching targets. I like that idea, but I have not implemented it yet.
- Some people do not understand how the stamina bar works. In the future I may add a simple tutorial to explain this.
- You will die quickly if you allow yourself to be surrounded. This is intentional.
- Can't customize key bindings yet.
- While I added some simple ambient music, there are no sounds yet.
- The difficulty right now is not yet representative of the final goal. Attack animation speeds, Enemy AI, Damage values, and Stamina costs are continually subject to tweaks/balancing.
Follow latest updates on my dev blog: http://hypertensiongamedev.tumblr.com/
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.