Ghost Knight Victis is an action RPG about a terminally-ill superhero fighting against an invasion of Lovecraftian horrors.
The catch is that his health deteriorates every time he uses his powers. As the player, you need to ensure the main character stays alive until the end of the year, when the final boss appears.
Inspired by the henshin hero genre (Karas, Kamen Rider, Garo, etc.), you play as a guy whose terminal disease awakens dormant powers, letting him transform into magical armors and fight monsters.
You'll also need to maintain your secret identity to prevent endangering your friends. But standing with you are individuals who are in the same predicament.
This is only the combat protoype for now. Please try it out and leave feedback!
Changes (since last AGDG Demo Day release):
- Added the Warhammer weapon. For those using mouse & keyboard, this is activated by pressing both left and right mouse button at the same time. If your mouse has back and forward keys, those are binded to the warhammer as well. Note: the game will have rebindable controls in the future.
- Warhammer has a charged attack (hold the button then release). It can be followed up with two more warhammer attacks in a combo (if you have enough stamina).
- Added parry ability to the Rapier. Parry automatically happens on the first and second of the Rapier's regular attack combo (those attacks can damage and parry at the same time). To perform this properly, you need to time the attack just as the enemy's attack meets with your weapon's slash movement.
- Moved the player's health and stamina bar to the bottom of the screen. This is an experiment to see if that makes it easier to glance at your health/stamina (as opposed to when it was at the top-left corner of the screen).
- Gamepad is recommended!
- I know activating Warhammer attack by pressing both left and right mouse buttons can be buggy (it would sometimes register as a rapier or spear attack if you didn't press both buttons at exactly the same time). I don't have a fix for this right now. If your mouse has back and forward buttons, you can use those instead (either back or forward will activate the warhammer).
- There are no optimizations yet. There are toggles for the graphical effects, but they are there more for your personal preference. If you're running the game on a toaster, consider yourself warned. Try running the game in a low resolution (800x600 if need be).
- There's nothing much to do yet except kill the enemies. This is only a test for the combat part.
- There are no unique combo strings. Attacks in this game work more similar to Dark Souls, and not God of War.
- I know the impression right now is there are not a lot of attacks. There will be more variety of attacks you can perform in future versions of the game, as I implement more features (weapon abilities, spells, a 2nd set of weapons).
- As some of you have mentioned, you can hit enemies through fences/obstacles. You are not supposed to be able to do this, but I haven't fixed it yet.
- Some of you suggested keyboard controls for switching targets. I like that idea, but I have not implemented it yet.
- Some people do not understand how the stamina bar works. In the future I may add a simple tutorial to explain this.
- You will die quickly if you allow yourself to be surrounded. This is intentional.
- Can't customize control bindings yet, but it will be added.
- There are no sounds yet.
- The difficulty right now is not yet representative of the final goal. Attack animation speeds, enemy AI, damage values, and stamina costs are continually subject to tweaks/balancing.
Follow latest updates on my dev blog: http://hypertensiongamedev.tumblr.com/